Noisy 1300 RT

Beemerdude2026

New member
Joined
Jun 28, 2026
Messages
8
Location
Clear Lake, IA
Bike:
2026 BMW R1300RT, 2020 Triumph T120, 76 R90S, 75 Triumph T160 Trident, 74 R75/6, 72 R75/5 toaster, 66 Triumph T100SR Tiger
Do the 1300s sound like they have a bag of marbles in them? (Cold or hot). Wife is amazed that our airheads sound like sewing machines and the 1300 sounds like it getting ready to grenade when idling.
Love this bike otherwise.
 
I would not describe the sound of my bike quite that way, but it’s definitely a unique sound.
 
I would not describe the sound of my bike quite that way, but it’s definitely a unique sound.
After 6 K bikes and an 1800 wing it’s noisy. I suppose that some of it could be the RT fairing. The only noise that gets my attention is on cold start. I’m assuming that has to do with the shift cam technology.
I do love the agility and technology, not planning to get rid of her.
Of note is the fact that K16 riders that have switched to the R13 talk of the increased mechanical noise!
 
I have put ~8,000 miles on my 2026 1300RT in the three months I've had it. About one quarter of those miles with the sport windshield, the rest with the touring windshield. Also, the last few thousand miles are with a Remus slip on. This is my 8th BMW since 1973 and 4th RT .
It is notable that you have two cylinders, 13.3 compression ratio,145hp, 8 valves, shift cam and superior wind protection. It may be impossible to compare the sounds of that to a 60hp airhead or six cylinder engines. Also, the 1300 idles near 2000RPM for a few seconds when cold. If you start it in your garage before you put on your helmet and ear protection you are treated to a Bavarian symphony! ...in my opinion ;-)
Did you take a test ride? Did you hear the sounds then? Did you ask the dealer if that was normal? Did the sounds bother you then? That is a lot of money for a bike that "sounds like it getting ready to grenade"
As far as "Of note is the fact that K16 riders that have switched to the R13 talk of the increased mechanical noise!" Carl Sagan (among others ) said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Who and where are these K16 riders? How many are we talking about? How did they measure this increased noise? Have their experiences been observed by neutral parties and documented? Where is the documentation? Have they relayed their data to BMW Motorrad? Those are just some questions that need to be answered in order to have extraordinary evidence.
In 55 years of riding I have enjoyed listening to other riders' stories and opinions on forums, in the shops, restaurants and rest stops. However, we should be careful of what we call "fact".
 
I’m a former K1600 rider in northern Iowa. Yes I did notice the cold start noise but wrote it off to the long cam chains and shift cam on a cold engine.
After 3 early Ks a Gold Wing and 2 K1600s it was definitely different.
My wife and passenger of over 40 years was more concerned. Her comment was this ( the airheads in our stable sound like sewing machines, this not so much).
I love this bike. I’m planning to ride theR13RT until I quit doing long distance runs.
 
Last edited:
On another topic:
I have an unnecessary interest in fuel economy and range. :) I have had several of my bikes on fuelly.com which is a free website for "gas mileage" nerds. There are probably several thousand specific vehicles on the website with thousands of motorcycles. The most common BMW is the R1200GS with 463 different bikes and the most common bike is the Honda CBR250R with 645. You can enter your fill ups and see how others are doing on mpg, etc. Right now there are only four of us with R1300RTs, all 2026 models. The data from the 4 vehicles: 92 fuel-ups and 18,895 miles of driving, the 2026 BMW R1300RT gets a combined Avg MPG of 48.42. I am TomWNC there also. You can visit the site without joining.
(if you knew all this, sorry to waste your time)
We are in a glorious spell of weather here in Western North Carolina. The mountains are beautiful and the roads are mostly back in shape from tropical storm Helene. Even at near 650 pounds the 1300RT dances in the curves with grace and style😉
Another topic: I like the BMW app MAKE LIFE A RIDE and use it every ride.
 
Back
Top